Sturgeon Bay Visitor Center News
Discover Autumn’s Bounty and Beauty in Sturgeon Bay, Door County
Autumn is just starting to show its face on the tips of some leaves around Sturgeon Bay – which means fall festivals are on their way with pumpkins, fall spices and colorful leaves. Plan your trip to Sturgeon Bay to explore apple orchards and pumpkin patches. Embark on a guided tour, or bask in the serenity of a casual afternoon hike under the changing leaves.
Whether it’s a day, weekend, or week away with the family, a group of friends, or someone special — now is the ideal time to plan your rejuvenating autumn escape.
A few ideas of Things to Do on a visit to Sturgeon Bay, Door County this fall:
Festivals & Fun
- Saturday, September 16, Third Avenue and surrounding areas - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- In-store specials, artists, crafters, and food vendors
- Live music by Hot Off the Grill & Dow Jones
- Chalk the Bay professional chalk art and community art project
- Classic Car Show on 4 blocks
- Meet DJ Wilson, 1st round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks along with the Rim Rockers as part of their State-wide tour
- Street Art Auction at 5:30 p.m. in Martin Park. This year’s auction is of 2-seater Adirondack-style benches created by artists!
- Saturday, October 28 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Pumpkin painting
- Costume parade
- Trick-or-Treat at businesses on Third Avenue
For additional information, call Sturgeon Bay Visitor Center: 920-743-6246.
- Friday, Oct. 27 & Saturday, Oct. 28, Third Avenue Playhouse
- Week-long songwriting event culminating in a 2-night Halloween costume party extravaganza!
- Tickets go on sale soon.
For additional information, call Holiday Music Motel: 920-743–5571.
Hiking & Biking
Door County is crisscrossed with some of the most pristine hiking and biking trails in Wisconsin.
- Scenic and less strenuous: Bike or hike parts of the 46-mile Ahnapee State Trail
- Potawatomi State Park has a network of trails you can hike or bike. Bring your camera and climb the lookout tower for stunning panoramic scenery.
- Great nature trails, animal and plant education, and great amenities at Crossroads at Big Creek
Land and water based tours have taken Door County’s silent sports scene by storm! Imagine gliding along the shore in a kayak or atop a paddleboard while the colors of autumn unfold before you, or sailing gracefully along with a bird’s eye perspective during a zip line tour.
You can rent everything you need in Sturgeon Bay. Sturgeon Bay boasts a variety of options including bicycling, off-road bicycling, kayaking, and paddle boarding.
Seeking a new adventure with a twist of excitement? Try gliding through the colorful forest of Potawatomi State Park on a two-wheeled Segway.
Afterwards, hop aboard the Door County Trolley for a wine tasting tour or ghost tour. Some tours follow schedules, while others may be booked independently.
Activities for all ages
- Bottle-feed goat kids, lambs, and piglets! See chicks hatch right before your eyes or milk a nanny goat! All this and more awaits you at The Farm, a living museum of rural America.
- If history peaks your interest, visit Heritage Village at Big Creek. Collection of historic buildings relocated to give families, school children, and visitors the experience of simple community and pioneer life in Door County.
- Putt-er around at Idlewild Golf, an 18-hole championship golf course with stunning surroundings. Enjoy a drink or bite to eat after hitting the course and watch golfers approach the challenging ninth-hole island green through panoramic windows.
- For those who love reeling in an impressive trophy fish, the captains of the Sturgeon Bay Sport Fishing Association will gladly guide you to all of the secret hot spots for Walleye, Northern Pike, Salmon and other freshwater favorites.
- Farmers Market - Saturdays from 8 a.m.- 12 p.m. in Market Square at the corner of Michigan Street and Fourth Avenue. Farmer’s Market runs through October 28.
Shopping Season in Door County
Autumn may be best known for school supplies and Halloween costumes, but it also brings out harvest themes throughout all three of Sturgeon Bay's shopping districts.
From home décor to unique treasures, art, and fashion forward outdoor apparel, each district has offerings tailored to suit individuals of all tastes and budgets. Looking for something specific? Just ask our team for a recommendation!
With so much to do and so much beauty to take in, it’s no wonder the fall season in Sturgeon Bay, Door County is so popular. Rooms fill up fast, especially on Fall weekends - so don’t miss out on all the fun that awaits you in Sturgeon Bay!
For additional trip planning assistance or insight, call the Sturgeon Bay Visitor Center: (920) 743.6246 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.