Sturgeon Bay Visitor Center Recipes
Healthy Recipe: Sweet Potato Veggie Breakfast Pie
- 9 whisked eggs
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh or dried basil, oregano or rosemary (optional)
- 1 medium finely chopped sautéed onion
- 1 whole finely chopped sautéed red bell pepper
- 2 cups lightly steamed broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I like to oven dry my own cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup sausage, bacon or ham or I have used Organic Chicken sausage (optional)
- 1 cup cheese (optional) Swiss, cheddar, feta, goat or non-dairy - your choice
Lightly grease two pie dishes.
Very thinly slice sweet potato, arrange it overlapping around the bottom of the pie dishes.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. (Optional: basil, oregano, or rosemary)
Layer with cooked onion and red bell pepper, meat (if using) and choice of cheese (or no cheese) between the two pies.
Pour eggs over layers, dividing between the two pies. (Approx 1 cup eggs each pie)
Lay lightly steamed broccoli and sundried tomatoes on top (I like to make a pattern as shown. Be creative!). Press down into egg.
Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-35 minutes. Usually 25 minutes works for me.
Use your imagination with mixing this up or substituting ingredients. It is just as good with or without cheese and/or meat.
This healthy, alternative breakfast recipe was kindly provided by Black Walnut Guest House to jumpstart your 2018 resolutions. Enjoy!