Explore Like a Local
Explore Like A Local: Sturgeon Bay’s “Par”fect Game
Grab your tennis shoes, water bottle, and lucky frisbee because fun awaits at Sunset Park’s disc golf course in Sturgeon Bay, Door County. Never heard of disc golf? Well, based on the growing popularity of the sport, if you haven’t, you certainly will be soon!
Similar to the sport golf, disc golf uses a flying disc or frisbee. The goal of the game is to complete each hole in the fewest throws, hopefully ending in par! For more information about the game, check out Professional Disc Golf Association.
Sunset Park is the perfect backdrop for this 9 hole course as it’s location on the Bay of Green Bay is breathtaking. Whether you’re ready to compete with your friends or just want to enjoy a round in the sun, Sunset Park is fully prepared. Park amenities include restrooms, pavilion space, picnic tables, vast pieces of playground equipment, tennis courts, and both kayak and boat launches, too!
Got you wondering? We’ve got five reasons why you might want to give it a try!
1. It’s less time consuming that traditional golf. A round of disc golf at a 18 hole course usually takes about an hour and a half to complete, leaving you plenty of time in your day to do something else or get some work done.
2. Availability of courses. At the end of 2014, there were over 5,000 registered disc golf courses. Based on growth, there are most likely between 6,000 and 7,000 today.
3. It’s FREE to play! This sport is inexpensive to everyone because there are no greens fees or cart rentals. Most discs are around $15 each, so with a small investment in your equipment, you’re ready to go!
4. You probably already have the skill. Hey, who hasn’t thrown a frisbee, right? And most people are probably fairly good at it (or at least think they are).
5. FUN for everyone! Disc golf is a great way to get out with the family, friends, or even by yourself for a little R&R, all while getting in a little exercise.