Sturgeon Bay Visitor Center Recipes
Door County Coffee: Sticky Toffee French Toast
- 1-1/2 cups strongly brewed Door County Heavenly Caramel Coffee (divided use)
- 1 cup maple-flavored syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped and pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (divided use)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or pure vanilla extract)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8-10 slices soft crust Italian or French bread (about 3/4 to 1-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup freshly whipped cream
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (optional)
Also needed: non-stick cooking spray
In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup of the Heavenly Caramel Coffee, maple syrup, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, and butter.
Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.
Add dates and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced, about 8-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped pecans and the vanilla. Keep warm.
Combine beaten eggs, remaining 1/2 cup Heavenly Caramel Coffee, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish.
Heat a large non-stick griddle or skillet, lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat.
Dip bread slices in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
Cook until golden brown, flipping once.
Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with the warm syrup.
Top with a dollop of the whipped cream and sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans.
Garnish individual serving plates with sliced strawberries, optional.
Makes 4-5 servings
This festive Autumn recipe was provided by Door County Coffee & Tea, Co.