Destination Sturgeon Bay News
What’s New in 2021? A Lot!
Sturgeon Bay is hitting the ground running in 2021 with a TON of new places to explore, new dining opportunities to enjoy, and wide-open spaces that will put smiles on your faces!
Here’s a short list of just some of the amazing things that have been happening and that you can look forward to as you plan your next visit:
New Community Updates
- Door County has just received National Scenic Byway designation. The Door County Coastal Byway stretches across 66 miles of Wisconsin’s Door Peninsula from north of the City of Sturgeon Bay on Highway 57 to the tip of peninsula and down HWY 42 back to the starting point. Road trip!
- The Door County Maritime Museum Jim Kress Maritime Lighthouse Tower will officially open May, 2021. The views are spectacular (we got a sneak peek and you’re not going to want to miss this!) along with 10 floors of interactive exhibits upon completion.
- Graham Park Opening May, 2021. This beautiful City park, located on Sturgeon Bay’s East Waterfront (1st and Oregon Streets) will be your new “go to” spot for your perfect Door County pics! Featuring Door County’s first water feature fountain, designed by local artist, Rob Soukup, chess/checkers tables, corn hole, ping pong, entertainment space, and stunning gardens, grab lunch or a cocktail and enjoy this magical place.
- Ice Age Trail Community Designation. Sturgeon Bay is the Eastern most terminus of the Ice Age Trail and we now officially have that title! Bay Shore Outfitters will shuttle hikers to the Trailhead in Potawatomi State Park so that they can hike the first portion of the trail right back to your vehicle. How cool is that?
- Potawatomi State Park State & Historic Registry Designation. While the fate of the Potawatomi Park Tower has not been determined yet, this iconic piece of Sturgeon Bay has this very important designation and hopefully will be restored to its glory in the near future.
- Otumba Park Beach Expansion Project with MOBI mat. One of our favorite beaches is getting even bigger and better! Inclusive of a MOBI mat for wheelchair beach access, a dedicated kayak and paddleboard launch, and swim area, this beach, picnic area, and park will be ready for use by the 4th of July.
- West Waterfront Promenade. The promenade is under construction now but will hopefully be ready for strolling beginning mid-June. Terraced seating, an outlook onto the water, and our favorite tugs will all be ready to welcome you.
- Wayfinding Project. Look for the signs that will help you park and then navigate your way throughout Sturgeon Bay’s East and West Waterfronts. The Bridge Walk and Bay Walk will take you along the vast public waterfront of our beautiful community.
- New Fine Art Fair Location. The Fine Art Fair is back but in a new location! Join 75 artists at Martin Park (corner of Oregon & 3rd Avenue) Memorial Day Weekend, May 29-30.
- Under the Stars Night Market will continue into 2021. Dine outdoors on 3rd Avenue (closed from Jefferson to Michigan Streets), stroll the streets for late night shopping, and enjoy Sturgeon Bay “Under the Stars” from 5-9 PM Saturdays, July 12-August 21.
- 1st Annual Bloody Mary Social (kick off to the Sikaflex races) on Sunday, August 15 as part of the Classic & Wooden Boat Festival. Tickets will be available online beginning June 1. (Remember, all events are subject to change or cancelation as deemed necessary.)
- Rotary Shipyard Tours has a new date for 2021! Save September 11 from 9 AM to 3 PM for an up close tour of Sturgeon Bay’s shipyards and Coast Guard Community. Tickets will be available beginning late June.
- Door Peninsula Winery. New expanded outdoor tasting area opening by June. Tasting, cocktails, wine by the glass, and more all safely served outdoors. Tables, benches, and a fireplace.
- Door County Coffee. Full service dining on their new outdoor patio.
- Wanda Jean's Family Restaurant. Classic Car Hop service along with new outdoor patio dining. How fun is that?
- Marketplace by Bliss. Formerly the HC Prange building and most recently Younkers, the Marketplace is now home to Bliss, Monticello at the Marketplace, and Lola May’s. The transformation of this historic building is breathtaking.
- Third Avenue Playhouse (TAP) Renovation and Expansion. The renovation of our downtown theater into a beautiful new 120 seat space is ongoing this summer, but we’re all keeping our fingers crossed that we’ll be seeing some live theater again this fall. Make sure to check out their plans as you walk by. Impressive is an understatement.
- Within Things Curiosity Shop has a new location! Their new location is at 242 Michigan Street, Suite B3 (corner of Michigan St and 3rd Ave in the Fairfield Building).
- Pembrook Inn, a Victorian B&B has new owners as well as a new pontoon boat for their guests! Beginning in May, "The Pembrooke" will offer sunset cruises, wine tasting, fishing & sightseeing outings for their guests.
- Door County Rubber Stamps is hosting a Spring, 2021 Virtual Art Weekend Extravaganza - April 16-18.
- Pinky Promise Coffee Roasters has joined the Sturgeon Bay business community on Sturgeon Bay’s West Waterfront at 60 S. Madison Avenue. This wholesale roaster has their coffee available in Sturgeon Bay at Kick Coffee, Tadych’s Econo Foods, Healthy Way, Madison Avenue Market, and Bay Shore Outfitters.
- SOMI Gallery (South of Michigan), 39 S. 3rd Avenue, will open in April. This second location of Popelka Trenchard Glass will exhibit the artists' own accomplished techniques of glass cast sculpture and Murrini blown glass, as well as oil paintings, jewelry, pendant lights and gift items.
- Red Oak Winery has a new home at 5781 Highway 42 in Carlsville.
- Mona Lucy Gallery is the newest resident of the Jefferson Street Shops, located at 626 Jefferson Street. Monica Ramirez is the founder of Mona Lucy’s Art and creator of the art shown on site and provided as custom orders.
- Two Bridges Studio & Gallery is a collaboration of artists Julia Redwine and Dale Vanden Houten. Located at 22 S. 3rd Avenue, make sure to visit the contemporary 2 and 3 dimensional art on display.
- Brey Family Beef is excited to offer beef from their farm to your plate. Come and buy locally raised meat to enjoy from their farm stand located just south of Sturgeon Bay at 2190 County Road O, Sturgeon Bay.
- 3rd Avenue Café, located at 3rd and Louisiana, is a great, family-run, family-friendly café offering all of your breakfast and lunch favorites. New owners--stop by and say "Hi!"
- Healthy Way Market moved to its new home at 216 S. 3rd Avenue right across the street from Martin Park. Healthy Way Market is an independently owned grocery store committed to providing local, organic, and delicious food to our community.
- Get Real Cafe has moved into their new space at 43 S. Madison Avenue. It's huge and ready to serve you all of their organic offerings. Think globally. Eat locally.
Make sure to check back often as we'll continue to update this page as our businesses give us their exciting updates!